Ingredients for preparing Chicken Rasam
- Chicken with bones (Kozhi, Murgh) – 1/2 kg
- Onion (Savala, Pyaj), finely chopped – 1 no
- Tomato (Thakaali, Tamatar), finely chopped – 1 no
- Garlic (Veluthulli, Lahsun), minced – 3 cloves
- Turmeric Powder (Manjal Podi, Haldi) – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder (Mulagu Podi, Lal Mirch Powder) – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds Powder (Jeeraga Podi, Jeera Powder) – 2 tsp
- Pepper Powder (Kurumulagu Podi, Kaali Mirch Powder) – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste – 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves (Malliyila, Dhania Patta), chopped – 1/2 cup
- Oil or Ghee – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves (Kariveppila, Kadipatta, Karipatha) – 6 nos
- Fennel seeds (Perumjeeragam, Saunf) – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds (Jeeragam, Jeera) – 1/2 tsp
Steps for preparing Chicken Rasam
- Clean the chicken and cut into small pieces. Keep it aside.
- For seasoning, pour 1 tsp oil into a pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the remaining seasoning ingredients.
- Stir for a moment and add the chopped onion, tomato and garlic. Cook till the onion is soft.
- Now add the cleaned chicken pieces and turmeric powder. Stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Mix in chilli powder, cumin powder and pepper powder with 3 cups of warm water. Cook covered over medium heat, till the chicken is tender.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Chicken Rasam is now ready to serve.