Ingredients for preparing Coriander Seeds Rasam
- Tamarind (Puli, Imli) – 1 lemon sized ball
- Salt to taste
- Rasam powder or Sambar Powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida Powder (Kaayam, Hing) – A pinch
- Red Gram (Thuvaram Parippu, Toor Dal) – 2 tsp
- Coriander Seeds (Malli, Dhania) – 2 tsp
- Curry Leaves (Kariveppila, Karipatha) – A few
- Coriander Leaves (Malliyila, Dhania Patta), chopped – 2 tsp
- Cooking Oil or Clarified Butter(Ghee) – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds (Kadugu, Rai) – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies (Unaka Mulagu, Sukha Lal Mirch) – 4 nos
- Curry Leaves (Kariveppila, Karipatha) – 1 stalk
Steps for preparing Coriander Seeds Rasam
- Soak the tamarind in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes. Kneading with your fingertips, squeeze juice out of tamarind and discard the pulp.
- Pour the tamarind juice into a vessel. Add salt, rasam powder, asafoetida and curry leaves into the same vessel.
- Close the vessel and keep it over the fire. Bring everything to a boil and cook on high flame for few minutes.
- Meanwhile Soak red gram dhal with coriander seeds for 15 minutes and grind to fine powder. Make a fine paste by mixing a little water. Add this ground mixture to the boiling rasam and cook on low flame.
- Add more water if needed. Switch off the stove when it froths up. Adjust the salt as required.
- Heat oil in wok and pop the mustard seeds. Now add the red chillies and curry leaves and stir for a while. Add this seasoning to the Coriander Seeds Rasam.
- Garnish Rasam with coriander leaves.
- Serve warm with steamed rice or as a soup.