Also Known As: French Bean Soup, Mung Bean Soup, Green Gram Soup, Lentil Soup, Cherupayar Rasam, Pesara Pappu Charu, Hesuru Bele Saaru, Hesaru Kaalu Saru, Payatham Paruppu Rasam, Pasi Paruppu Rasam, Moong Dhal Rasam, Mung Dal Rasam
Ingredients for making Moong Dal Rasam
- Mung Bean (Cherupayar, Moong Dal) – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric Powder (Manjal Podi, Haldi Powder) – 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes (Thakkali, Tamatar), quartered – 2 nos
- Ginger (Ingi, Adrak), chopped – 1 tbsp
- Garlic (Veluthulli, Lahsun) – 3 to 4 cloves (Optional)
- Asafoetida powder (Kayam, Heeng) – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder (Jeeragam Podichathu, Jeera Powder) – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Lemon (Cherunaranga, Nimbu), squeezed – 1/2 tsp
- Oil or Ghee – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds (Kadugu, Rai) – 1/4 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies (Unakka Mulagu, Sukha Lal Mirch) – 2 nos
- Cumin Seeds (Jeerakam, Jeera) – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves (Malliyila, Dhania Patta), chopped – 1 tbsp
Steps for making Moong Dal Rasam
- Wash and cook Mung Beans with a pinch of turmeric powder and enough water, till creamy.
- Add the quartered tomatoes, chopped ginger, crushed garlic, spice powders and salt to the cooked mung beans with water and mix it well.
- Allow the Moong Dal Rasam to boil for a few minutes and remove from fire.
- Now stir in the lime juice to the Moong Dal Rasam.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter the Mustard Seeds. Now add the Cumin Seeds and the broken Dry Red Chillies. Fry untill its golden brown in colour.
- Pour contents of the pan over Moong Dal Rasam.
- Garnish Moong Dal Rasam with Coriander Leaves.
- Moong Dal Rasam is now ready to serve.