Also known as: Veppam Poo Charu, Margosa Tamarind Soup, Vepampoo Saaru, Veppampoo Rasam, Vepam Poo Sathamudhu, Veppin Poovu Rasam
Ingredients for preparing Neem Flower Rasam
- Thick Tamarind Pulp (Puli, Imli) – 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chillies (Unakka Mulagu, Sukha Lal Mirch) – 10 nos
- Red Grams (Thuvaram Parippu, Toor Dal, Arhar Dhal) – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder (Manjal Podi, Haldi) – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida (Kayam, Hing) – A pinch
- Curry leaves (Kariveppila, Kadipatta) – 2 stalk
- Salt to taste
- Dry Neem Flower (Veppam Poo, Margosa) – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds (Kadugu, Rai) – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Leaves (Malliyilla, Dhania Patta), chopped – 1 tsp
Steps for preparing Neem Flower Rasam
- Take a vessel and pour 2 cups of water. Now add Tamarind Pulp, Red Grams, Salt, Turmeric Powder, Asafoetida and 1 stalk of Curry leaves into the vessel.
- Pinch 8 of the Dry Red Chillies and add to the Tamarind water.
- Now boil the Tamarind water till the Tamarind scent is removed.
- Add more water if needed and boil for 2 more minutes. Now remove the Neem Flower Rasam from the stove.
- Heat Oil in a small pan and spultter the Mustard seeds. Now add 2 Dry Red Chillies with Coriander Leaves.(broken) and the remaining Curry Leaves and saute for a few seconds. (Take care not to burn the chillies) Add this to the Neem Flower Rasam.
- Fry dried Neem Flower in 1 tsp of Oil until it gives a dark reddish colour and add to the Neem Flower Rasam.
- Garnish Neem Flower Rasam with chopped Coriander Leaves.
- Now Neem Flower Rasam is ready to drink or serve with rice.
Share This Article